Social Media 101 – Steps to Building Your Digital Footprint is a presentation that I created for a project along with Laura Kennedy, the Military Spouse Portable Career. I hope you enjoy, please provide feedback!!
After reading the latest @chrisbrogan newsletter, I decided to take his suggestion to offer up praise on some people that are doing it right. These are people that you should get to know and interact with on Twitter. They will enhance and improve your experience.
@nursebevw – Bev is a person that knows her true calling is to help others; that is why she became a nurse and why she has founded Crafters with Love. You can help her causes by following her, retweeting information and helping spread the word about her worthwhile charity. She is a wonderful and deserving person that you should get to know.
@jimhunt – Jim is a dynamic member of our #PositivePosse on Twitter, a connector, pilot and BIG Florida State football fan. He focuses his energy and efforts on connecting and promoting others as well as teaching individuals and corporations how to properly use social media for these purposes. We can all learn from Jim and I encourage you to connect with him and get to know him.
@aceconcierge – Suzie is a Virtual Assistant extraordinaire and a great resource for business owners. If you want to engage with someone that is using social media to promote and build their business in a professional and successful way, get to know Suzie. She can help you focus on your business by taking over some of the tasks that are wasting your time.
@rochelleveturis – Rochelle is one of three Veturis sisters and a family dog that is on Twitter; collectively known as The OC TriumvIrate. Rochelle is a true PR and social media professional that will enhance your Twitter experience and make you smile. Follow and engage Rochelle, you will not be disappointed. I encourage you to check out her website and her writing samples; she is a great resource.
In the coming weeks, I plan to feature more folks that are doing it right. If you know of someone that I should feature, let me know!
Since the explosion of Twitter and other social media sites, many blog posts and articles have been written about what to do and more importantly what not to do as you establish and maintain your online presence. I have written these too, you can read my post on NO Auto DM’s here. Sometimes these posts have been referred to as Don’t Be That Guy. We all know and recognize the type, the ones that are breaking all of the “rules” of social media.Some of the basics can never be repeated enough:
- Use a good photo of YOU on your avatar; not the kids (sorry parents) not the pets, not a sunset, etc. We want to get to know YOU!
- Listen to others and engage in an actual conversation! Social media/social networking is the same as meeting face-to-face; it is about developing relationships.
- Update your status and profile on a regular basis. You should also complete your profile on each site that you choose to use.
- Don’t just Tweet information about your business. It’s not about selling, its about listening and conversations!
- Try to talk with someone new each day, but while you are forming new relationships, do not forget your existing followers, friends and connections.
- No Automatic DM’s – again, it’s about relationships, auto DM-ing people does not establish relationships!
- The Retweet – RT – on Twitter can be a useful tool to spread good information. However, the RT should not be used to interject you into other people’s conversations. I have seen a lot of this happening on Twitter lately and it reminds me of gossiping. Especially if you are not part of the conversation!
Building and maintaining your online presence requires time, patience and common sense, just like building your reputation in face-to-face relationships. Don’t damage your reputation by becoming That Guy or Gal.Those are my thoughts; what say you? What are some of your pet peeves with social media Guys & Gals?